News and information from our partners

Sunday fire destroys Caribel home

Two firefighters treated for overheating

CARIBEL – A chimney problem is the suspected cause of a Sunday fire that destroyed a Caribel Road residence.

“It was fully engulfed by the time we got there,” said Fire Chief Terry Evans, Glenwood Caribel Volunteer Fire Department.

“We were able to save all the outbuildings and a trailer home,” he said, “and keep the fire from spreading.”

Four engines and seven firefighters responded to the 9:27 a.m. 911 call Nov. 17 by homeowner Elaine St. Clair, advising her house at 898 Caribel Road was on fire. Mutual aid was requested from the Kamiah Fire Department, which brought a water tender. Vehicle access to the scene was hampered by the narrow access to the property.

“We had to back in,” Evans said. “There was no way we could turn around in there.”

Crews were on scene for approximately three and a half hours. Two firefighters became overheated and were treated on scene by the Kamiah Ambulance crew. No other injuries were reported.

St. Clair, a second unnamed adult and three children were in the home at the time of the fire. Some personal belongings were rescued from the fire that overall destroyed the two-story log home and its contents. It is unknown if the home was insured.

Yesterday, Nov. 18, the American Red Cross of Greater Idaho responded to assist the family with funds to purchase food and clothing, as well as homemade quilts and also toys for the children.

Also assisting on scene were Glenwood Caribel QRU, Idaho County Light and Power, and Idaho County Sheriff’s Deputy Jon Tibbetts.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment


Information from the Free-Press and our advertisers (Want to add your business to this to this feed?)