KAMIAH — Regional forester Faye Krueger recently approved the recommendation from the Coeur d’ Alene Bureau of Land Management Resource Advisory Committee (BLM RAC) to increase recreation fees for several sites on the Nez Perce-Clearwater Forests.
The decision to increase fees was based on recommendations made in 2011, after the combination of the two forests’ recreation program and in response to declining budgets.
Public involvement yielded significant concerns about the proposal to consider concessionaire management but yielded very little concern about raising fees.
The proposed sites have recently received significant investment to improve visitor services.
Effective Dec. 1, amenity fees increased at 24 campgrounds, one visitor center, and four lookout/cabin rentals on the forests. Reservations made prior to Dec. 1 will be honored at the previous, lower rate. Most of these sites are currently closed for the winter.
The affected recreation opportunities are found in three large geographical zones: the North Zone, including the Palouse and North Fork Ranger Districts; the Central Zone, containing the Lochsa, Moose Creek (Selway River), and Powell Ranger Districts; and the South Zone which covers the Red River, Elk City, South Fork of the Clearwater and Salmon River Districts. Fee increases are as follows:
• Apgar, Wild Goose, Wilderness Gateway, Wendover, White Sand, Whitehouse and O’Hara Bar Campgrounds fees increased from $8 to $14 per night.
• Jerry Johnson Campground fee increased from $10 to $14 per night.
• Powell Campground sites without hookups increased from $8 to $14 and sites with hookups from $14 to $20.
• Glade Creek Group Campground fee increased from $35 to $50 (for five camping spots) per night.
• Lolo Pass Visitor Center new fees are $5 per day, $35 per season, $20 for a five-day bundle; the $5 second car pass has been eliminated.
• Castle Butte Lookout rental fee increased from $35 to $45 per night.
• Castle Creek and South Fork campgrounds fee rises from $8 to $12 per night.
• Fish Creek Campground fee doubles from $6 to $12 per night.
• Spring Bar Campground on the Salmon River fee rises from $10 to $12 per night.
• Red River Campground fee doubled from $6 to $12 per night.
• Jerry Walker Cabin located near the Elk City rental fee doubled from $20 to $40 per night.
Reserve lookouts and cabin rentals at recreation.gov.
Contact a local Forest Service office for details, or see http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/nezperceclearwater/recreation/camping-cabins.