News and information from our partners

Online one-stop for growers to get burn permits

Idaho growers now can go online in one easy step to obtain a crop residue burn (CRB) permit from the Idaho Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) and a fire safety burn permit from the Idaho Department of Lands (IDL).

The DEQ system for administering CRB permits now interfaces with an IDL application for issuing fire safety burn permits so that growers can obtain both permits online at once. Before today, growers had to visit separate Web sites to obtain each permit.

Growers can log in to the DEQ system and enter all necessary information to obtain the permits at this link:

The DEQ permit is required for burning on lands outside the Nez Perce Tribe, Coeur d’Alene Tribe, Shoshone-Bannock Tribes, and Duck Valley Reservation boundaries.

Crop residue is any vegetative material remaining in the field after harvest, or vegetative material produced on conservation reserve program lands. The CRB program enables growers to burn under certain conditions while protecting public health from smoke impacts. Growers must register at least 30 days before they want to burn and provide information regarding when and where the burn is to take place, and pay a $2 fee per acre at least seven days in advance of the burn.

The fire safety burn permit informs fire managers where burning activity will take place to ensure public safety. The permit is free and required for individuals living outside city limits anywhere in Idaho who plan to burn for any reason – including crop residue burning and excluding recreational campfires – during “closed fire season” from May 10 to Oct. 20 every year.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment


Information from the Free-Press and our advertisers (Want to add your business to this to this feed?)