The Johnson Bar Fire was seen producing smoke on Aug. 21.
LOWELL The Forest Service continues to staff the Johnson Bar Fire that as of Thursday, Sept. 11, was at 8,867 acres and at 55 percent containment.
Currently, the Selway River Road (Road #223) is open, as is the O’Hara Campground to first-come, first-serve visitors and existing reservation holders. The campground is closed for future reservations for the remainder of the season. Johnson Bar Campground remains closed. All campgrounds upriver from O’Hara Campground are open to the public. Forest roads in the fire area under closure orders will remain closed until further notice.
A local Type 3 organization assumed command of the Johnson Bar fire on Aug. 25 with the incident command post located at the Fenn Ranger Station, and the fire camp is located at Johnson Bar Campground. Fifty personnel are stationed on the fire.
Warmer, drier weather this week will cause an increase in fire activity and smoke. Fire personnel are focused on keeping the fire from spreading by using lookouts to actively monitor the fire and by using helicopter water drops as necessary. Rehabilitation efforts will be completed where the fire is no longer active and there is no risk of fire spread.
The public is being advised of the potential for falling snags along roads and river corridors (Selway and Clearwater) that have been affected by the fire, as well as the potential for helicopters to be dipping water from the Selway and Clearwater rivers.
• Johnson Bar Campground is closed.
• Swiftwater Road #470 is closed from the Swiftwater Bridge to Road #286, except to local residents who access their residence via this road.
• O’Hara Road #651 is closed from the O’Hara Bridge to Road #1129. Road #1129 is closed from Road #286 to Road #651.
• Roads #1119, #1119A, #9723, #9723A, #9701 and Trails #706, #712 and #716 are closed as part of a larger area closure around the fire for firefighter and public safety.
• Current closure orders (Order No. 14-D6-NP-08 and Order No. 14-D6-NP-09) can be found at: http://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/nezperceclearwater/alerts-notices
Information: Fenn Ranger Station at 926-4258 (7:30 a.m.-4 p.m.) Monday-Friday. Weekends, call the Fire Duty Officer, 926-8952 or 926-8953.