Homes damaged, destroyed by fire

Electrical issue led to Jan. 5 blaze

ELK CITY — Firefighters were unable to save an unoccupied residence that was destroyed by fire Monday morning, Jan. 5. No injuries were reported.

The suspected cause was electrical. According to Cocoa Anderson, Elk City Fire Department, snow slid off the roof and separated the electrical box from the outer wall, causing wires inside the wall to short out and smolder and finally ignite a fire.

Crews were dispatched to the Jessica Montgomery residence on Bullock Lane around 10:30 a.m. following a private party call to Fire Chief Loren Anderson that was relayed to Idaho County Sheriff’s Dispatch. One engine and five to six personnel responded, along with assistance from U.S. Forest Service employees.

“[Loren] thought they had it beat back once,” Cocoa said, but the fire was too well-entrenched in the walls and the residence was engulfed, “and he pulled his people out for safety.”

The residence – a double-wide trailer built atop a daylight basement structure – was a total loss. On the positive side, Cocoa noted no other items were lost and no residents were in danger.

Providing on-scene assistance was the Elk City Ambulance.

NEWS – Cow Creek residence damaged in Jan. 1 fire

LUCILE — A Cow Creek Road residence suffered damage following a Jan. 1 fire.

Damage estimates were unavailable for the blaze reported at 12:45 a.m. at 877 Cow Creek Road, responded to by 10 personnel and three vehicles from the Salmon River Rural Fire Department.

According to a department spokesperson, the fire started in the chimney and spread into the roofline. Crews were on scene for five hours. Due to roadway snow depth, only two SRRFD vehicles could respond to the scene, one of which was a recent acquisition by the department: a 2003 Ford F550 4WD with 400-gallon water tank.

This is one of two vehicle acquisitions by the department last year that also included a 4,000-gallon water tender.

Assisting on scene was the Idaho County Sheriff’s Office.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment

CLOSE X

Information from the Free-Press and our advertisers (Want to add your business to this to this feed?)