News and information from our partners

Tempus Fugit: July 22, 2015

Elevator on Miller Creek. Florence Idaho 1907. Rodney Lawrence Glissan Photo.


Elevator on Miller Creek. Florence Idaho 1907. Rodney Lawrence Glissan Photo.



10 YEARS AGO

JULY 20, 2005

•GRANGEVILLE – Raj Chahal and family are the new owners of The Grangeville Depot on U.S. Highway 95 North and County Road.

•Prairie High School senior Kaysie Burchell has been chosen to represent Border Days as its queen for 2006. Amanda Hunter will serve as princess. She will be a senior at Clearwater Valley High School.

20 YEARS AGO

JULY 19, 1995

•Saturday, July 15, was a beautiful day for the self-guided tour over the Elk City Wagon Road. Along the way there were people dressed in period costumes who would greet the travelers and tell about the history of the area.

30 YEARS AGO

JULY 17, 1985

•Jane Kissinger, a native of Grangeville, was installed in Detroit, Mich., on July 13 as the 46th World President of International Training in Communication (formerly International Toastmistress Clubs). She is the first World President to serve under the new name of the organization.

40 YEARS AGO

JULY 23, 1975

•Johnny and Clint Borders, the new owners of the Arrowhead Bar, are really remodeling. They have moved the bar to the back of the building and have put food in the front. Wilma White from Kooskia has come to White Bird to help run the new business.

50 YEARS AGO

JULY 22, 1965

•Fire of unknown origin completely destroyed the main milking barn of Hillcrest Dairy. “If nothing unforeseen happens we will be able to milk tonight and continue our deliveries tomorrow,” Jim Jessup stated.

60 YEARS AGO

JULY 21, 1955

•Work has started on construction of the new medical center in Grangeville just north of the General Hospital. The center, a long-felt need, is being provided by Mr. and Mrs. Henry Vanderwall.

•A detection center radar station will be constructed soon on Cottonwood Butte northwest of Cottonwood. It will cost approximately $700,000.

70 YEARS AGO

JULY 19, 1945

•Although Grangeville has been given permission by the War Production Board to construct 10 new houses, the city is still facing a critical housing shortage.

80 YEARS AGO

JULY 18, 1935

•Hot weather, drops of sweat and lots of splashing midst the crawfish in the swimming hole isn’t what it used to be. The highway comes right by it and we can’t swim naked as of old. That is not as naked. Nevertheless we swim!

90 YEARS AGO

JULY 23, 1925

•Over on the Joseph Plains they believe in doing things themselves, so they are going to have a real “roundup” in the heart of the cow country. Come to the Fly-Blow, the last fringe of the cow country, on Aug. 5-6-7-8.

100 YEARS AGO

JULY 22 1915

•The stage on Salmon River was wrecked when the four horses were scared by an automobile driven by George Troeh. The animals plunged over the grade. Three of the horses were killed.

110 YEARS AGO

JULY 20, 1905

•Proprietors of the Grangeville Brewing Company have nearly completed their magnificent brewery. When completed it will be the most up-to-date manufacturing establishment of its kind in the Northwest.

•George Schroeder, who automobiled to Grangeville, says he is well pleased with the appearance of our town and the hospitality of her citizens, but the roads leading into the city are in a frightful condition.

120 YEARS AGO

JULY 19, 1895

•Term report of school district 19, White Bird, for term ending July 12, 1895. Number enrolled, 44; average daily attendance, 39; average standing, 90. Nele E. Lyon, teacher.

•The census of the Grangeville school district recently completed showed a total of 178 children of school age.



Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment

CLOSE X

Information from the Free-Press and our advertisers (Want to add your business to this to this feed?)