News and information from our partners

Knee-jerk hysteria to Sen. Nuxoll’s refusal

Letter: Thomas Reilly Grangeville

I find humorous the knee-jerk hysteria to Senator Sheryl Nuxoll’s refusal to participate in a Hindu invocation ceremony at the recent opening of the Idaho Senate session in Boise. I surmise that most of the criticism originates from individuals affiliated with the Democrat party. What I have discovered about liberals is that their much-touted commitment to tolerance and inclusion only goes as far as one’s willingness to embrace their own secular-progressive world view.

Although the United States was not founded as a theocracy, it is a matter of historical fact that it was founded upon Judeo-Christian principles. The Holy Bible directly contributed to 34 percent of all quotes by the Founding Fathers. Other sources the founders embraced, including Montesquieu, Blackstone, Locke and Puferdorf, took 60 percent of their quotes directly from the Bible. Direct and indirect sources combined reveal that 94 percent of all the quotes of the Founding Fathers are derived in the Bible. Some examples:

“It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and the Bible.” –George Washington

“I consider the doctrines of Jesus as delivered by himself to contain the outlines of the sublimest system of morality that has ever been taught.” –Thomas Jefferson

“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” –John Adams

“I believe the Bible is the best gift God has given to man. But for this Book we could not know right from wrong. All things most desirable for man’s welfare are to be found portrayed in it.” –Abraham Lincoln

In light of the evidence, to not believe that our nation was founded on Judeo-Christian principles would be intellectually dishonest. Given that most of our citizenry is the product of secular government schools, I am not surprised by the collective ignorance.

To those critics who claim that Senator Nuxoll’s free exercise of religion makes her unfit to hold office, I refer you to Article VI, paragraph 3 of the U.S. Constitution. Since when did a religious test make one fit or unfit for public service?

Thomas Reilly



Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment


Information from the Free-Press and our advertisers (Want to add your business to this to this feed?)