News and information from our partners

Assistance for fire-affected ag producers

NRCS accepting apps to rehabilitate private land burned in wildfires

The Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS), part of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is accepting applications to help agricultural producers rehabilitate private land burned in recent wildfires.

Idaho NRCS will set aside funding through the Environmental Quality Incentives Program for private land wildfire recovery efforts. The funds can be used to help restore privately owned rangelands and forest lands, reduce soil erosion, and re-establish critical wildlife habitat.

“NRCS is preparing to set aside special funding to help ranchers and agricultural producers rehabilitate land that was impacted by this year’s devastating wildfires,” said Curtis Elke, Idaho NRCS State Conservationist. “The program can assist producers with post-fire work such as fencing, seeding, livestock water development, herbaceous weed control, and various erosion control practices on rangeland, pastureland and non-industrial private forest land.”

Call the NRCS office in Grangeville, 983-1050, or go online:

Emergency haying, grazing approved for Idaho County

Idaho County is one of eight counties in the state authorized by the Idaho Farm Service Agency (FSA) State Committee for emergency haying and grazing use through the Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) acres due to drought.

Other counties also authorized include Adams, Clearwater, Latah, Lewis, Nez Perce, Payette and Washington. CRP emergency haying and grazing authorizations for the above counties began Oct. 1 and ends Nov. 29.

“Idaho FSA is making every effort to offer assistance for farmers and ranchers during this tough production year,” said Samson. “Emergency haying and grazing as well as the Livestock Forage Disaster Assistance Program can help relieve the burden of losses suffered due to the unique weather Idaho has experienced.”

Producers who wish to hay or graze their CRP contract acres must sign up and receive approval from their local FSA office prior to conducting any emergency haying or grazing activities. There is no payment reduction for CRP acres used for haying and grazing under these emergency provisions.

To take advantage of the emergency haying and grazing provisions, authorized producers can use the CRP acreage for their own livestock or may grant another livestock producer use of the CRP acreage.

CRP participants can donate hay, but are not allowed to sell the hay.

For information: Idaho County FSA office, 983-1050, or visit Idaho FSA online at


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment


Information from the Free-Press and our advertisers (Want to add your business to this to this feed?)