Sponsored content: Are fatty foods guilty? More on cholesterol with Julie Hauger, owner at Groaners Fitness club

Groaners Fitness Club in Grangeville Idaho is accessible 24 hours with a membership.

Credit: ICFP Media for Groaners Fitness
Groaners Fitness Club in Grangeville Idaho is accessible 24 hours with a membership.

Neighborhood Expert: Julie Hauger, Owner and Operator of Groaners Fitness Club

photo

ICFP Media for Groaners Fitness

Julie Hauger is the owner and operator of Groaners Fitness Club in Grangeville, Idaho.

Don’t lay the blame on cholesterol with fatty foods: Most of the waxy substance is made by our own bodies. The liver produces 75 percent of the cholesterol that circulates in our blood. The other 25 percent comes from food. At normal levels, cholesterol actually plays an important role in helping cells do their jobs. But cholesterol levels are precariously high in more than 100 million Americans.

“High cholesterol does not cause any symptoms, but it does cause damage deep within the body,” said Julie Hauger, Groaners Fitness Club in Grangeville.

This includes the buildup of arterial plaque, known as atherosclerosis, that narrows the space available for blood flow and can trigger heart disease.

People older than 20 should have their cholesterol levels checked at least once every four to six years. This is done with a simple blood test known as a fasting lipoprotein profile.

“The good news is high cholesterol is simple to detect, and there are many ways to bring it down,” Hauger said, “by weight management, regular exercise and your diet.”

“You love dark chocolate, right?” she continued. This and other super foods actually reduce cholesterol: oatmeal, margarine (that includes plant sterols), blueberries, salmon, nuts (such as walnuts), tea, beans and legumes, garlic, olive oil, spinach, avocadoes and red wine.

“Syringa Hospital and Clinic will hold their annual Health and Wellness Fair on May 21,” Hauger said. “Free cholesterol screening will be provided. I urge you to take this opportunity to get checked!”

Commenting has been disabled for this item.

CLOSE X

Information from the Free-Press and our advertisers (Want to add your business to this to this feed?)