News and information from our partners

Fuel mishap cause of mobile home fire

Owner escaped without injury



— A woodstove mishap resulted in a fire last week that destroyed a Suttler Creek Road home north of Syringa.

Owner James Brawner, 84, escaped without injury. His mobile home was destroyed. It is believed he was uninsured.

“It was pretty well burnt by the time we got there,” said Assistant Chief Lucky Brandt, Kooskia Fire Department (KFD).

Five firefighters and two trucks responded to the 5:15 p.m. call last Thursday, Jan. 7, at 587 Suttler Creek Road. The structure was reported as fully engulfed by Idaho County Sheriff’s Deputy Keith OIsen.

According to Brandt, Brawner had been stoking his stove and used some diesel, and either the fuel spilled or he used too much and the fire got away from him and ignited the home.

Prior to the arrival of firefighters, a neighbor used a backhoe to haul Brawner’s car away from the burning home, saving it from the fire. The KFD crew was able to save an adjacent storage shed, approximately 20 feet away from the fire, and its contents from burning.

“I’m certainly glad it was this time of year,” Brandt said, as how wet it was on the shed roof and adjacent trees, it delayed the fire’s spread until crews arrived to provide defensive coverage.

Crews were on scene for two hours.



Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment

CLOSE X

Information from the Free-Press and our advertisers (Want to add your business to this to this feed?)