News and information from our partners

Burn permits required starting May 10

Notify sheriff’s office of activity ask fire officials

Starting next Tuesday, May 10, Idahoans must obtain a burn permit from the Idaho Department of Lands (IDL) before starting certain controlled burn activities. Permits can be obtained online at .

The burn permit is free of charge and good for 10 days after it is issued. Permits issued through the self-service web site are available seven days a week, issued immediately, and valid immediately.

Idaho law (38-115) requires any person living outside city limits anywhere in Idaho who plans to burn anything - including crop residue burning and burn barrels - during closed fire season to obtain a fire safety burn permit. No permit is needed for recreational campfires. Closed fire season is May 10 through Oct. 20 every year.

Residents are encouraged to contact their local city hall or rural fire department before burning because some incorporated cities and towns may require their own burn permit.

Also, area fire departments ask prior to starting a burn to contact Idaho County Sheriff’s Office Dispatch to avoid false alarms of uncontrolled wildfires. As well, those burning should have water and tools on hand to avoid fires getting out of control.

“It’s been a light season this year so far,” said Bob Mager, assistant fire chief, Grangeville Rural Fire Department. “Last year we had a lot,” he continued, from people burning ditches to clearing out brush piles. Humidity and wind conditions can change mid-day, and without proper precautions a fire can quickly get out of control

IDL will not issue burn permits within districts where local burn bans are in effect. Additionally, residents should contact the Idaho Department of Environmental Quality for air quality information by calling (800) 633-6247 or visiting


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment


Information from the Free-Press and our advertisers (Want to add your business to this to this feed?)