News and information from our partners brief

Babe Ruth baseball meeting set April 12

GRANGEVILLE — Sign-up forms for Babe Ruth Baseball will be available at the GEMS and GHS offices April 5-12.

The paperwork should be completed and submitted at the parent meeting at 7 p.m. April 12 at GEMS.

Any player born prior to May 1, 2004, and on or after May 1, 2001, is eligible to play Babe Ruth Baseball.

Contact Pat Finnegan, 208-451-4332.

Local elk foundation banquet coming up

The new local chapter of the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation organizers have set their first banquet for 5 p.m. April 22 at the Elks Lodge in Grangeville.

Last year, RMEF poured more than $322,000 into work to improve 15,000 acres in 16 counties for Idaho wildlife.

In advance of the banquet, the local chapter is seeking donors, business partners and sponsors.

Contact organizer Gail Chapman, 839-9990.

Football squad’s annual Boise State camp trip scheduled

GRANGEVILLE — The GHS football Bulldogs have a new head coach but their off-season schedule won’t change much.

Coach Jeff Adams has the Grangeville boys lined up to attend the annual Boise State University football camp once again, and with the team camp to run June 14-17. Camp registration is due by May 1.

“We have more opportunities this year than in the past for players to earn money to pay for camp,” Adams said.

Contact Adams, 507-1616.

Youth turkey season to run April 8-14

Youth turkey hunters get an early shot as Idaho's general season youth turkey hunt runs Saturday, April 8 through Friday, April 14.

Licensed youth who are 10 to 17 years old on April 8 may participate in the general season youth hunt. Resident hunters under 12 and nonresident hunters under 18 must be accompanied by a licensed adult 18 years of age or older to participate.

IDFG’s Upland Game, Furbearer and Turkey brochure is available at license vendors and online at

Bighorn sheep, moose, mountain goat hunt apps open all month

The application period for moose, bighorn sheep and mountain goat controlled hunts is now open. Hunters have through April 30 to apply. Hunters can apply at any Fish and Game office, license vendor, or use a credit card by telephone or over the Internet.

Telephone applications may be made at 1-800-554-8685. Internet users may apply through Fish and Game's website, Mailed applications must be postmarked no later than April 30.

The controlled hunt fee for residents is $173, $2,117 for nonresidents. Only tag fees will be refunded to those who do not draw.

Drawing results will be posted on the Fish and Game website in early June.

Trapper ed will be mandatory come 2018

Beginning on July 1, 2018, every trapper who purchased their first trapping license after June 30, 2011 will be required to attend and pass a mandatory trapper education course before they can purchase an Idaho trapping license.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment


Information from the Free-Press and our advertisers (Want to add your business to this to this feed?)