News and information from our partners

Motorists injured in Saturday crashes on US12

Mother, 2-year-old escape injury in Sunday rollover

Mother, 2-year-old escape injury in Sunday rollover accident east of Kooskia on US 12

A non-injury single-vehicle crash was reported the following day, Sunday, July 30, eight miles east of Kooskia on U.S. 12.

Mallory A. Ash, 21, of Nampa, was driving a 2013 Kia Rio westbound when she swerved to miss a car partially in her lane, overcorrected, at which point the vehicle rolled. The Kia then hit the embankment and rolled over onto its wheels facing the opposite direction.

She and her 2-year-old son, Bentley, were both using motorist seat restraint devices.

ICSO investigated the crash.

Two unrelated motor vehicle injury accidents were reported on U.S. Highway 12 last Saturday, July 29, requiring medical transport.

Reported at 10:02 a.m. at milepost 132, Jerome S. Stern, 81, of Clearwater, Fla., was driving a 2013 Nissan truck hauling a U-Haul utility trailer eastbound, according to an Idaho County Sheriff’s Office (ICSO) report, when he drove too close to the edge of the pavement and left the right side of the road with no braking.

The vehicle crossed a deep hole and went through several small trees before impacting a dirt embankment. At this point, the trailer sheered the tow ball off the hitch and went up the hill approximate 20 feet before being stopped by trees.

Jerome and one of his two passengers, wife, Marcia D. Stern, 71, were transported by Kooskia Ambulance for medical evaluation and treatment. All involved were wearing seat belts.

Also assisting on scene were Kooskia Fire Department and Lowell QRU.

A Florida motorcyclist was transported by Life Flight following a single-vehicle crash reported at 3:12 p.m. at milepost 146.

Kathleen D. Edwards, 61, of Port St. Lucie was riding a Harley-Davidson motorcycle westbound, according to an ICSO report, when she braked for an unknown reason and laid the motorcycle down on its left side.

Edwards was reported suffering abrasions on her hands, neck and shoulder pain, and showed signs of a possible concussion. She was wearing a helmet.

Edwards was flown to St. Joseph Regional Medical Center in Lewiston for evaluation and treatment.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment


Information from the Free-Press and our advertisers (Want to add your business to this to this feed?)