News and information from our partners

Lose your fence? Landowners impacted by Yellow Bull Fire may be eligible for FSA funds

The Idaho County Farm Service Agency office has been approved for the Emergency Conservation Program – Restoring Permanent Fence - for landowners impacted by the Yellow Bull wildfire in 2017.

The 200-acre Yellow Bull Fire started Aug. 29 from a lightning strike 10 miles southwest of Kamiah between Red Rock Road and State Highway 162. Firefighters saved three homes; however, an outbuilding was lost. It was controlled the following day.

This wildfire has caused severe damage in Idaho County. Farms and ranches suffering severe damage may be eligible for assistance under the Emergency Conservation Program (ECP) administered by the Farm Service Agency if the damage:

• Will be so costly to rehabilitate that Federal assistance is or will be needed to return the land to productive agricultural use

• Is unusual and is not the type that would recur frequently in the same area

• Affect the productive capacity of the farmland

• Will impair or endanger the land.

A producer qualifying for ECP assistance may receive cost-share levels not to exceed 75 percent of the eligible cost of restoration measures. No producer is eligible for more than $200,000 cost sharing per natural disaster occurrence.

The following measure may be eligible:

• Restoring permanent fences

• Debris removal

Producers who have suffered a loss from the Yellow Bull wildfire in 2017 may contact the local Idaho County FSA Office and request assistance through Jan. 12, 2018: Idaho County FSA, 102 South Hall, Grangeville, ID 83530; 208-983-1050 Ext. 2.

To be eligible for assistance, practices must not be started until all of the following are met:

• An application for cost-share assistance has been filed

• The local FSA County Committee (COC) or its representative has conducted an onsite inspection of the damaged area

• The agency responsible for technical assistance has made a needs determination required for rehabilitation and fences must meet NRCS specifications.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment


Information from the Free-Press and our advertisers (Want to add your business to this to this feed?)