Credit: Chris Fisher, ECVFD
Elk City Volunteer Fire Department crews responded to a house fire last Wednesday, March 15, at 336 Main Street.
As of Tuesday, March 21, 2017
ELK CITY Firefighters made short work on an Elk City house fire last week, saving the two-story structure. No injuries were reported.
An electrical issue – old wiring – is the suspected cause of last Wednesday’s March 15 fire, according to Jon Menough, board chairman, Elk City Volunteer Fire Department, that originated in the attic. The rental home, located at 336 Main Street, is salvageable, with some structural damage to the attic and roof, and overall smoke and significant water damage.
According to Idaho County Sheriff’s Dispatch, two reports came in at 2:16 p.m. of smoke coming from the attic. Occupants were home at the time, and they along with a dog were able to exit without incident. The residence did not have a smoke detector.
Twelve ECVFD personnel responded along with one engine; initial response was in 12 minutes. Menough reported the fire was out within a half-hour, and firefighters monitored the scene through the rest of the day to watch for flare-ups.
“It was pretty straightforward,” Menough said, on the overall effort. “We had a quick response, we put out the fire right away and saved the house. All in all, it was successful.”
Menough explained ECVFD has active – front line firefighters — and associate – provide background support — members. A half-dozen of each responded on this incident.
Additional scene assistance was provided by Elk City Ambulance and Avista Utilities.