News and information from our partners brief

New hunting, fishing license fees in effect

Hunters, anglers and trappers are seeing new prices that went into effect May 1 with the addition of a $5 access/depredation fee for resident adults and $10 for nonresident adults when they buy their first annual license.

The access/depredation fee is expected to raise $1 million annually for sportsmen’s access, and another $1 million annually for depredation prevention and damage compensation.

See for details.

Spring bowhunting course cancelled

GRANGEVILLE — A bowhunter eduction course previously scheduled for this weekend has been “cancelled for lack of interest,” instructor Roy Kinner said May 2.

Youth conservation camp offered

The Youth Conservation Camp offers a summer adventure for youth, ages 10-12, who want to learn outdoor skills and experience a wide variety of fun, outdoor activities.

The weeklong camp will be held Aug. 7-11 at Trinity Pines Camp and Conference Center in Cascade, Idaho. Cost per camper is $275, which includes food, lodging and equipment for the week. Registration is first-come, first-served and a few spaces are available.

Sponsored by Idaho Conservation Officers Association and Idaho Fish and Game, the camp is designed to provide youth with learning experiences in firearm safety and shooting, wildlife conservation and identification, fishing techniques, archery fundamentals and an introduction to trapping. Each youth will also be certified in hunter and bowhunter education.

“Most of the instruction is hands-on and outdoors,” said Eric Crawford, camp organizer and Fish and Game conservation officer. “Make your reservation now for this exciting week of outdoor adventure.”

To learn more or to register, see the Idaho Conservation Officer Association's Facebook page or contact your nearest Fish and Game office, 208-799-5010.

Controlled hunt application period open through June 5

The application period for this fall's deer, elk, pronghorn, fall black bear and fall turkey controlled hunts is open through June 5.

Hunters with a valid 2017 Idaho hunting license may apply for controlled hunts at any license vendor, Fish and Game office, with a credit card by calling 1-800-554-8685, online at, or by mail to Fish and Game's License Section, P.O. Box 25, Boise, ID 83707. Mailed applications must be postmarked no later than June 5.

Hunters can find information regarding drawing odds and statistics for all controlled hunts online through


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment


Information from the Free-Press and our advertisers (Want to add your business to this to this feed?)