News and information from our partners

Sponsored content: How to get a military or veteran ID card

There are many reasons why proof of military service can come in handy

— A military ID card or dependent ID is a valuable card, which can unlock a variety of valuable benefits, such as health care through TRICARE, education benefits, and access base facilities, including the commissary, base exchange, MWR centers and other support agencies. You are usually eligible to receive a military ID if you are a military retiree or are currently serving in the military (active duty, Guard, Reserve, or Inactive Ready Reserve). Certain dependents are eligible for dependent ID cards as well. Proof of eligibility for dependents include marriage license for spouse and birth certificates for children. A social security card may also be required for dependents.

There are many reasons why proof of military service can come in handy – including securing veterans benefits, proof of service for military discounts, or just to show off your military pride. The U.S. Government created the Veterans Identification Card Act 2015, which authorizes the VA to issue Veteran ID Cards to all veterans with an honorable discharge. Please note these Veterans ID Cards are not military ID Cards. They simply show that you served honorably in the U.S. Military, and will not function to provide military benefits, base access, or other veterans benefits. The nearest facilities to apply for a Veterans ID card are the VA facilities at Walla Walla, Boise or Spokane.

The VA also issues Veteran Health Identification Cards for veterans who are in the VA medical system.

In Idaho, you can identify yourself as a veteran on your state driver’s license. Bring in your DD Form 214 as proof of service. You can also identify yourself as a veteran on your vehicle license plate. Ask for an application at your county assessor’s office.

If you have questions about your eligibility to receive a Veterans ID card, visit the Veterans Service Officer in your county or stop by the Idaho County Veterans Outreach and Community Center at 318 E Main in Grangeville.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment


Information from the Free-Press and our advertisers (Want to add your business to this to this feed?)