News and information from our partners

Carbon monoxide: avoid injury, death; take precautions

Letter to the Editor

Kooskia Fire and Ambulance have responded to at least five incidents of carbon monoxide poisoning in the last two years. These resulted in two fatalities and twelve patients transported to a hospital. Some of the exposures were quite serious with effects lasting for a significant period of time. These could have resulted in additional fatalities in a relatively short period of time.

Carbon monoxide is a byproduct of combustion and results from heating systems, cars, water heaters and similar appliances. Fuels can include, but are not limited to gasoline, propane, wood and oil.

I would like to encourage everyone in the community to make sure that all pieces of fuel burning equipment are properly installed and vented. Such appliances should be installed and maintained by a properly trained person. Having a carbon monoxide alarm would also be a good idea.

Help us make sure no other members of our community are injured in an incident like this or subjected to the trauma of losing a loved one to this preventable problem.

Mark Anderson

fire chief



Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment


Information from the Free-Press and our advertisers (Want to add your business to this to this feed?)