Photo by David Rauzi
Safe and Sane fireworks set off near a residence in Grangeville
As of Tuesday, July 3, 2018
GRANGEVILLE This Fourth of July holiday, Grangeville city residents can purchase fireworks and set them off for two extra days.
In two separate actions – on June 18 and July 2 -- by the city council, a 48-hour extension was approved on the sale of fireworks, and also their discharge, through Saturday, July 7, at midnight.
Normally, as per city ordinance, fireworks discharge closes at midnight, July 5.
However, two reasons led to the council’s extension for this year’s celebration. One, the Grangeville Border Days celebration runs July 4-6, and so to allow fireworks through that time frame. The second was a request for sales extension by Kevin Asker, representing the Grangeville Elks fireworks stand, to allow for additional revenue to help in funding its new trailer.
But the extension exception is only for sales and discharge, not for setting off fireworks other than those designated as “safe and sane” by city ordinance.
“Remind people, this is only for safe and sane fireworks,” said police chief Morgan Drew, asking the city council at its July 2 meeting to clarify that with residents when celebrating this week.
What are "Safe and Sane" ?
According to Grangeville ordinance 6-5-2, Safe and Sane fireworks include any of the following:
- A. Cone fountains with pyrotechnic composition not exceeding fifty (50) grams each;
- B. Cylindrical fountains, whether base, spike or handle, with pyrotechnic composition not exceeding seventy five (75) grams each and inside tube diameter not exceeding three-quarters inch (3/4");
- C. Sparklers and "dipped sticks" not more than ten inches (10") in length or one-quarter inch (1/4") in diameter and Suzuki and Morning Glories with pyrotechnic composition not exceeding four (4) grams each;
- D. Snakes which do not contain bichloride of mercury and pyrotechnic composition not exceeding two (2) grams each;
- E. Wheels with pyrotechnic composition not exceeding sixty (60) grains for each driver unit or two hundred forty (240) grains for each complete wheel. The inside tube diameter of driver unit shall not exceed one-half inch (1/2");
- F. Whistles, without report and which do not dart or travel about the ground during discharge with pyrotechnic composition not exceeding six (6) grams and containing not picric or gallic acid.