News and information from our partners

Hey, Elk City, invite Hoffman to donate to your cause next time

Letter to the Editor

Hey, Elk City! Next time you host a benefit for your loved one, invite Wayne Hoffman. He wants to donate to your cause. He would be “joyful that people are being lifted up” by his “helping hand.”

Hoffman, of Idaho Freedom Foundation, says you don’t need insurance or even want it. He wrote in the Free Press [June 27 issue] that if you donated more, everyone’s healthcare would be covered. Maybe he would donate his tax break savings. Ask him to bring a dish (or a hat) to pass, if he comes.

Invite the Idaho Legislature, too. They gave themselves nearly a 10 percent raise this year, and despite receiving socialized healthcare themselves, they know you don’t want insurance.

Serve energy drinks and candy, bought with food stamps, at your fund-raiser. Hoffman says that’s what you buy. I think he’s jealous. And next time you go to Disneyland or casinos with your food stamps, send Hoffman a postcard. He knows that’s where you spend them.

He could donate to our children’s education, too, because the Idaho Legislature isn’t, despite a mandate in our state constitution. Apparently, you don’t want that money. You’d rather raise your own property taxes to pay for education, yourself.

Hoffman says you don’t want government “programs” that never end. You want to pay more property taxes so the wealthy can get more tax breaks that have no end. And invite Senator Risch. He was the one who orchestrated the property tax exemptions for the wealthy and shifted education funding to sales tax, in 2006.

Of course, none of us want to rely on assistance. We all want to pay our own way. We could, if we made a living wage, but last year, the Idaho legislature ruled that neither Elk City, Kooskia, Kamiah, Grangeville or any municipality or county government had authority to raise minimum wage.

They aren’t going to do it. They know us better. Yes, Hoffman, we “have no choice.” Except to vote.

Register to vote at Room 5, Idaho County Courthouse or call 208-983-2751.

Michelle Perdue



Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment


Information from the Free-Press and our advertisers (Want to add your business to this to this feed?)