As of Tuesday, November 6, 2018
Area communities have set Veterans Day commemoration events. Here’s what’s planned.
• Prairie High School will be host to a Veterans Day assembly Monday, Nov. 12, from 1 - 2:30 p.m. in the high school gym. Refreshments will be served to the veterans from 12:30 to 1 p.m.
• GEM Builders and The Hangout will offer a free meal to veterans Monday, Nov. 12, 11 a.m. to close. Stop in for a hot roast beef sandwich, mashed potatoes and gravy.
• VFW Post and Auxiliary are putting on the traditional dinner for the community and The Sew Help Me Quilters will also be presenting Quilts of Valor Sunday, Nov. 11, 4 p.m., at the VFW.
• Grangeville Elementary Middle School will host its Veterans Day assembly Friday, Nov. 9, in the big gym at 1 p.m. The public is welcome to come honor local veterans.
• Veterans, their families and friends are invited to a live Internet radio show at the Idaho County Veterans and Community Center, 318 E. Main Street, Friday, Nov. 9. 11 a.m. to noon. This is presented by AbbaDaddy House’s Myrna Thatcher and Annette Smith.
• Grangeville High School will hold its Veterans Day assembly Monday, Nov. 12, 8:30 a.m. All veterans are invited to attend. This event is the senior project of Walker Smith,
“There are a lot of veterans in my family, so this is really important to me,” Smith said. He has also enlisted in the Navy.
• Cornerstone Christian Learning Center, located at the Grangeville Church of the Nazarene, 515 W. North 2nd Street, will host a Veterans Day celebration Monday, Nov. 12, 10:30 a.m.
• The Idaho County Veterans Outreach and Community Center is holding their second annual “Support the Center” dinner on Saturday, Nov. 10, starting at 5 p.m. at the center. Enjoy a smoked tri-tip roast dinner with creamy O’Brien potatoes, green beans and harvest salad. Dessert will be warm apple crisp with ice cream. There will be a silent auction with many items to bid on and live music. Funds raised at this event support veterans and community programs at the center. Tickets are $20 per person or $35 per couple.
On Monday, Nov. 12, the center is hosting a free lunch for veterans and their families starting at 11 a.m. German sausage on a roll with homemade potato salad plus a dessert is on the menu, donated by Stephen and Julianne Rowe, owners of Rowe’s Blazing Grill.
• A Veterans Day program will be held at Kamiah Middle School, 906 12th Street, Monday, Nov. 12, 10 a.m. Attendees are asked to wear red in remembrance of all those who are deployed.
• Salmon River High School will host its Veterans Day program Monday, Nov. 12, 8:45 a.m. SRHS students will present the program and introduce the guests and speaker. The Pinehurst Quilters will present Quilts of Valor to some local military men and women. The public is invited and encouraged to attend to help honor veterans.
• American Legion White Bird Post No. 152 will be having a work day this Saturday, Nov. 10, to erect flag poles at the Veterans Memorial Park in downtown White Bird. Work starts at 9 a.m. Anyone interested in participating is welcome. On Sunday, Nov. 11, the Post will hold a public ceremony at 11:11 a.m. with a flag presentation and 21-gun salute. For information, call Post Adjutant Lucky Gallego at 208-507-2035.