USDA offers farm loans for underserved, beginning farmers

U.S. Department of Agriculture

Agricultural producers in Idaho and Clearwater counties who lost property due to recent flooding disasters are eligible for physical loss loans from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA).

FSA is offering this low-interest emergency loan to producers with a qualifying loss in eligible counties. Approval is limited to applicants who suffered severe physical losses only, including the loss of buildings and livestock.

Physical loss loans are available to eligible agricultural producers in Missoula County, Mont., who incurred losses caused by flooding that occurred on May 7, 2018, and continuing.

Producers in Clearwater and Idaho counties in Idaho may also be eligible because they are contiguous.

The deadline for producers in designated primary and contiguous counties to apply for loans for physical losses is Feb. 21, 2019.

Physical loss loans can help producers repair or replace damaged or destroyed physical property essential to the success of the agricultural operation, including livestock losses. Examples of property commonly affected include essential farm buildings, fixtures to real estate, equipment, livestock, perennial crops, fruit and nut bearing trees, and harvested or stored crops and hay.

Contact FSA for more information on loan eligibility and the application process. FSA office information is available at Additional FSA disaster assistance program information is available at

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.