BOISE — Idaho residents who don’t normally make enough money to file an income tax return can still get a refund of the grocery tax credit for 2015. The tax credit, which offsets the sales tax on groceries, is $100 for most Idaho residents who aren’t required to file an income tax return, plus $100 for each of their dependents. Residents age 65 and older get $20 more.

To qualify for the refund, residents must have lived in Idaho during all of 2015. (Dependents born or adopted in 2015 and residents and dependents who were deceased in 2015 qualify for the full credit.)

If Idaho residents received federal food stamps, were in jail, or were in the U.S. illegally for part of the year, their refund will be prorated to exclude the months those conditions applied.

Last year about 64,000 residents who weren’t required to file a tax return filed for a grocery credit refund.

Residents age 65 and older and their spouses can claim the refund by filing a Form 24, Idaho Grocery Credit Refund. Residents under the age of 65 should file their claim on Form 40, Idaho Individual Income Tax Return.

For information, Idahoans can visit the Tax Commission’s website at (click on “Get a grocery credit refund” in the “Quick Picks” section).

Taxpayers can also get help by calling the Tax Commission at 334-7660 in the Boise area or toll-free at (800) 972-7660.

Your support is needed now more than ever
Help support your local news

Local news sources need your help. Stay in the know on Coronavirus, local updates, and more.

Load comments